Bridge Resource Management is a training program for ship's Masters and navigational officers.
Objectives of the Course
On completion of the course the learner/trainee should be able to demonstrate sufficient understanding and knowledge of bridge resource management and leadership and teamworking and have the relevant skills to competently carry out the duties of officer in charge of a navigational watch.
The program meets the latest requirements of STCW Convention and IMO Model Course 7.01 “Master and Chief mate” Competence 3.5 “Use of leadership and managerial skills” and Model Course 7.03 “Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch” Competences 1.2 “Maintain a safe navigational watch” (part: Bridge Resource Management) and 3.7 “Application of leadership and teamworking skills”, as well as Model course “Leadership and Teamwork”.
The course is approved by Georgian Maritime Administration
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Bridge Resource Management training course is 6 working days.
Trainees `wishing to enter this course should have:
• Certificate of Competence as officer in charge of a navigational watch and should
present appropriate diploma/certificate; or
• Evidence that is in progress studying on the educational program of Officer in Charge
of an Navigational Watch.
The Bridge Team and Resource Management training course covers the following topics:
• Practical planning and carrying out a voyage;
• Bridge team duties, responsibilities, teamwork;
• Challenge and response;
• Use of authority and assertiveness;
• The Bridge Team and Pilot;
• Leadership and Managerial skills;
• Involvement of human in error chain;
• Working knowledge of shipboard personnel management and training;
• Need for international maritime conventions, recommendations and national legislation;
• Ability to apply task and workload management;
• Knowledge and ability to apply effective resource management;
• Knowledge and ability to apply decision-making techniques;
• Self-awareness, personal and professional development.
The maximum number of participants – 8 persons.
Training approaches and equipment
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint presentations, practical
tasks are conducted on the latest version of Transas bridge simulation equipment – NT-PRO