This training course is designated for every seafarer who is going to be in charge of or
perform radio duties on a ship required to participate in the GMDSS.
Objectives of the Course
After successful completing this course the participant will be able to efficiently operate the GMDSS equipment and to have primary responsibility to radio communications during Distress incidents.
The course complies with all requirements of the STCW Convention, as amended, Chapter IV, Section A-IV/2 of the SCTW Code, as well as covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model course 1.25 “General Operator’s Certificate for the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System”
The course is certified by Georgian Maritime Administration
Duration of the training course
The duration of the General Operator’s training course is 14 working days.
The GMDSS basic course covers the following topics:
• Principles of Maritime Radio communications;
• Principles & Basic Features of the Maritime Mobile Service;
• Principles & Basic Features of the Maritime Mobile Satellite Service;
• Global Maritime Distress & Safety System, DSC mode;
• Purpose & Use of VHF, MF/HF DSC Facilities;
• Device NBDP;
• Cospas-Sarsat System;
• EPIRB Cospas-Sarsat;
• VHF Portable;
• Terrestrial ship station equipment;
• Fault location;
• English Language;
• Distress Traffic;
• GMDSS Radio Log Book;
• Involvement of human in error chain
To be assigned on the General Operator’s training course, participant should present:
• Certificate of Competence as officer in charge of a navigational watch and should present appropriate diploma/certificate according to STCW Convention, as amended, II/1, II/2 or II/3; or
• Evidence that is in progress studying on the educational program of Officer in Charge
of a Navigational Watch.
The maximum number of participants – 12 persons.
Training approaches and equipment
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint, practical tasks are based on real scenarios and conducted using following equipment: real SAILOR GMDSS for A3 area and GMDSS TRANSAS TGS4100 simulator.